My renewed efforts on the plot have started to pay off. I’m learning to leave behind the things not done, and focus instead on the successes. Making sure that I learn what I need to from the failures.
This year what that means is that I have finally managed (with help from Malcolm) to fence around the whole plot using pallets, posts and cable ties. This is the low-tech, upcycling solution to the problem. I could have bought new fencing materials and just got it done. I was sorely tempted to, till I figured out the price. And the outcome is that, so far this year I haven’t had a single badger incursion. The first year in many that my potatoes, squash plants and asparagus haven’t been dug up and trashed. I’m counting that one as a success.
We’re now eating home grown broad beans, strawberries, eggs and chard in abundance. We have other crops to look forward to.